Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Commitment
Spark Policy Institute was founded in 2004 with a focus on using research and facilitation approaches to ensure diverse perspectives inform and foster meaningful social change. Over the years, we’ve humbly sought to improve and operationalize our commitment to ensuring all voices are heard, strengthen our own organizational accountability to uphold social values, and authentically support the people, places, and communities touched by our work.
We are committed to intentionally pursuing policies and practices both internally and through our project work that prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) principles. We also commit to being open and transparent in this ongoing journey with our staff, local community, peers, clients, and the people most affected by our work.
While we have taken some initial steps toward this end, we recognize the need to make a renewed and fortified commitment to improving DEI at Spark. This will include a lot of work over the years but in 2018 we’re committed to these steps:
- Engage with DEI experts to audit and improve our internal and external policies and practices.
- Invest time and resources to strengthen staff understanding of and commitment to DEI principles in all aspects of our work including research, evaluation, consultation, facilitation and strategy.
- Share our DEI journey through Spark communications channels, and collaborate with partners to continually improve our practices.
- More authentically engage with and contribute to our local community (Five Points, Denver, and Colorado).
- Foster and ensure alignment of our work with DEI values.
We invite you to read our 2018 DEI Plan, which includes both internal goals for staff awareness and skill building, as well as external goals around the way we work with stakeholders, partners, and clients. We aim to infuse DEI into our language, behaviors, tools, approaches, products, processes, and policies.
As we continue this work, we welcome your feedback and input. Know a participatory research tool? Have experience implementing DEI in the workplace? Want to share a favorite research, evaluation or strategy project where you saw DEI incorporated? We welcome your insights and questions. Please contact Daniela Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org.